Valentine's day may be a made up holiday for shops to sell lots of heart shaped tat but whether you celebrate with a partner or not its a great excuse to show the people around you some love.
Most importantly it's a great excuse for you to show yourself a little bit of love.
Over the past 3 years I've been on a self-discovery of learning to love myself and I thought I'd share some of my favourite things I do and no cheap bears or over priced flowers in sight.
- Treat yourself like you would your best friend. Shield yourself from bad things and support yourself no matter what. If there's a situation causing you stress around you, do what you can to eliminate it or reduce it and put you first
- Pay off something. Yes it's nice to buy things but also it's not worrying about bills. If you don't have the funds, start a plan on how you're going to pay off that credit card. Give yourself the gift of one less worry
- Take yourself on a date. My absolute favourite thing is to take myself to a coffee shop and just chill. Buy myself my favourite mac and cheese from Pret or buy an extremely sugary coffee with extra whipped cream
- Say yes to something really scary and just go for it. Maybe there's a project at work you've been offered but you're worried you won't be good enough. Or a sponsored run that you always say you'll do but never get round to. Do it. You can do it. Life is too short to wonder what if.
- Go on a walk somewhere or travel to a new place and walk around there. Not only does exercise help release serotonin but getting out of your own surroundings can help any situation. Maybe you'll discover somewhere completely new.
- Spend some time alone. It's completely healthy to be alone sometimes. I'm an introvert so alone time is an absolute dream for me but I know for some it seems like the scariest thing in the world. It isn't I promise. Learn to love your own company